highlights for us ten practices that Christians can do to make progress in their spiritual journey to become the person God created them to be! Proverbs states: “as a man thinks, so is he.” At the foundation of who we are is the way we think. We are the product of our thought life.
If we want to change the way we are, we must change the way we think. The Apostle Paul illustrated for us some goalposts we are to aim for in our thinking: “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.” (Philippians 4:8) The command is to think and dwell on these things. It speaks of reflective thinking. My grandfather once said, “You can’t stop a bird from flying over your head, but you can stop him from making a nest on your head.” In order for us to think great thoughts, we must make it a priority to focus on truth, and monitor what thoughts we allow into our minds. This is so important because of the following statement: thoughts lead to behavior, which leads to character, which leads to our destiny.
Chip Ingram suggests several ways to think great thoughts:
- Memorize and meditate on Scripture.
- Use drive time – listen to sermons, scripture, or music to fill your mind.
- Listen to great music – choose some worship songs that lift your heart to God.
- Take walks in nature – take time to listen to nature speak of God’s great creation – observe His creative genius in what He has made.
- Use 3x5 cards and personalize truth of promises and Scripture to address your personal areas of growth.
So let’s begin to shape our minds by choosing to think great thoughts! Then let’s see where God will take us on our journey with Him.